The Golden Ferret uses a weighted scoring system. Four different review types — Gadgets, Equipment, Apparel and Apps — each have their own categories, with each category having a specific weight for that review type. The categories used are:
- Appearance: The look of an item.
- Build Quality: For equipment and gadgets, how solid or flimsy the item feels.
- Construction Quality: Specifically for apparel, how well the item is made (attention to detail, stitching, etc.).
- Ease of Use: How easy it is to use an item (is it intuitive or overly complicated?).
- Performance: How well the item works, what benefit it has to your game, if it does what it claims to do.
- Value: Cost and usefulness. Expensive doesn’t necessarily mean a bad score if it’s a huge benefit to your game.
- Overall: All the weighted categories added together, rounded to the closest whole number.